Our January Theme Is … Go Plant-Based for 31 Days
Welcome to the first month of alive’s 12 Months of Wellness challenge! We want to reiterate that this isn’t a resolution. You don’t fail the January challenge if you have a bite of your mom’s famous cheesy lasagna. This is about progress. About eating more plants because they make you feel fantastic … and they’re pretty great for the planet too.
Eating plant-based meals has so many A+ health benefits. And as for the environmental benefits: Oxford University research suggests plant-based diets reduce the emissions caused by food by up to 73%.
Ready to show yourself (and the planet) a little love?
Here’s how these monthly updates will work. Each month, we focus on one big goal to help make your year healthier and happier—and each week will focus on one mini goal as a stepping stone toward the bigger objective. You’ll find the weekly focuses below. You can also download, screenshot, or print out our PDF calendar with daily to-dos.
This challenge is customizable, so make it your own! If you just want to focus on the weekly challenges, do that. If following along with daily to-dos sparks joy … well, do that! Above all, enjoy the journey. This stuff should be fun.
January 1-9: Celebrate Fruits and Veg
- Stock your kitchen with a rainbow of fruits and veggies (for the best flavour and value, opt for in-season produce!).
- Aim for at least 5 servings throughout the day.
- Prep your produce in advance, washing and chopping so it’s easy to grab and go.
- Reliable favs: spinach, kale, bell peppers, carrots, cauliflower, bananas, apples, and oranges
- Recipe rec: Colorful Roasted Veggies and Lentils with Creamy Mayo
January 10-16: Pick plant proteins
- Try a plant protein you’ve never had before, like tofu, tempeh, or lentils.
- Make your own protein-rich trail mix snack with your fav nuts and seeds.
- Sample a vegan dish from your go-to takeout place, like chickpea curry.
- Reliable favs: tofu, tempeh, lentils, edamame, chickpeas, and vegan protein powder
- Recipe rec: Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burgers
January 17-23: Focus on healthy fats
- Dress your salad with a heart-healthy homemade vinaigrette.
- Read food labels in order to steer clear of “hydrogenated” or “partially hydrogenated” ingredients.
- Try dipping bread in extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Reliable favs: avocado, coconut milk, peanut butter, extra-virgin olive oil, almonds, and hemp hearts
- Recipe rec: Smashed Chickpea Salad in Avocado Boats
January 24-31: Choose whole grains
- Look for the words “whole grain” (not “wholewheat” or “multigrain”) on the labels of pasta and bread.
- Snack on air-popped popcorn for a healthy snack (add nutritional yeast as a “cheesy” vegan topping!).
- Start your day with nourishing oatmeal or overnight oats.
- Reliable favs: barley, oats, buckwheat, whole grain pasta, and brown rice
- Recipe rec: PB&J Overnight Oats
Need a little more guidance? Follow our personal calendar to help you through the month! Click here to download and save/print now!