Hey there, are there any harmful habits or damaging distractions that are weighing you down?
Maybe you scroll obsessively through Instagram. Or feel like you *need* a glass of wine each evening to wind down from the day. Or find it impossible to say “no” to anything. When it comes to bad habits, quitting can actually be a very good thing.
In July, we challenge you to let go of behaviors that aren’t beneficial to your well-being. From screen time to caffeine to inactivity to alcohol, let go a little each day and enjoy your life with a renewed sense of freedom.
As you probably know by now, each week of alive’s 12 Months of Wellness focuses on one mini goal as a stepping stone toward the bigger monthly objective. You’ll find the weekly focuses with key tips below.
July 4-10: Break a bad habit
- Enlist the help of a friend or family member.
- Identify your triggers, and find better alternatives.
- Consider therapy.
July 11-17: Create a worry journal
- List your worries in a notebook, and then “put them away” when you put the book away.
- Try it if you’re having trouble turning off thoughts before bed.
- Develop an action plan to tackle some of your concerns.
July 18-24: Practice gratitude
- Once a day, such as upon waking or before bed, reflect upon the things you’re grateful for.
- Consider creating a “gratitude jar.”
- Write “thank you” cards or letters and send them.
July 25-31: Do a digital detox
- Set limits on your screen time (many social media apps have this feature).
- If you can, don’t check work emails outside of working hours.
- Try to avoid screens before bed. Instead, wind down with a cozy routine like a bath and a book.